- Install the latest version of OBIEE 11g (11.1.5), the older version 11.1.3 has a few bugs with installation on a 64 bit machine. Also the connectors to Essbase do not work as mentioned in the documentation.
- Set the Essbase path and the Arborpath variables correctly under User and System Variables.
- Add the Essbase path to the Path variable under System Variables. This is an important step and this is not mentioned in the documentation. The tool will not connect to Essbase if this step is not performed.
- Set the Essbase path correctly in the OPMN.XML and bi-init.cmd, User.cmd files. This part is mentioned in the documentation but has to be done correctly for the connectivity to work.
Updating Essbase Information in opmn.xml
To enable connectivity, on each computer running the Oracle BI Server, you need to verify that information in opmn.xml is correct for your Essbase client version and installed location.
To include the location of the Essbase client libraries in opmn.xml:
- Open opmn.xml for editing. You can find opmn.xml at:
- Locate the ias-component tag for the Oracle BI Server process. For example:
<ias-component id=”coreapplication_obis1″ inherit-environment=”true”>
- Under the Oracle BI Server ias-component tag, locate the line that identifies the variable ESSBASEPATH. For example:
<variable id=”ESSBASEPATH” value=”$ORACLE_HOME/products/Essbase/EssbaseServer” />
- If necessary, update the value to point to the appropriate location for your installed client libraries. Change the variable name to ARBORPATH if necessary, depending on your client version.
- Locate the line that identifies the variable PATH. For example:
<variable id=”PATH” value=”$ORACLE_HOME/bifoundation/server/bin$:$ORACLE_
- Locate the portion of the entry that shows the location of the Essbase client libraries (shown in bold in the preceding example), and update the location if appropriate for your installation. Change the variable used in the path from ESSBASEPATH to ARBORPATH if necessary, depending on your client version.
- Save and close the file.
- Restart OPMN.
- Repeat these steps on each computer that runs the Oracle BI Server process. If you are running multiple Oracle BI Server instances on the same computer, be sure to update the ias-component tag appropriately for each instance in opmn.xml (for example, ias-component id=”coreapplication_obis1″, ias-component id=”coreapplication_obis2″, and so on).
Adding Essbase Information to bi-init.cmd
On Windows systems, to enable connectivity, you need to update bi-init.cmd on each computer running the Administration Tool.
To add Essbase environment variables to bi-init.cmd:
- Open the bi-init.cmd file for editing. You can find bi-init.cmd at:
- Add a line setting the
ARBORPATHenvironment variable, as appropriate for your version and installed location of the Essbase client libraries. For example:
- Locate the line that sets the
PATHenvironment variable, and add the location of the Essbase client binaries. For example:
- Save and close the file.
call %ORACLE_INSTANCE%\bifoundation\OracleBIApplication \%ORACLE_BI_APPLICATION%\setup\user.cmd
set PATH=%ORACLE_HOME%\bifoundation\server\bin;%ORACLE_HOME% \bifoundation\web\bin;%ORACLE_HOME%\bin;%ESSSBASEPATH%\bin;%PATH%